A generator is an essential piece of equipment to invest in, especially if you live in areas that experience frequent power outages. You can use it as a source of backup power whenever the electricity goes off. so the question is what can you run on a 2000 watt generator?
Besides being a power backup plan, a generator can power your RV, tailgate party, camping experience, and run your power tools when working at a remote job site. Just as there are many uses of generators, they are also of different sizes, with the power output being the primary determinant of the sizes. For instance, a generator that produces 10,000 watts is bigger than one with a power output of 5,000 watts.
Even with the wide variety of generators in the market, 2000 watt generators seem to be common with many homes and RV owners. The popularity of this generator size is because of its affordability, relatively long runtime, simple maintenance, quiet operations, and portability.
So, what can you run on a 2000 watt generator? The answer to this question depends on the type of appliances in your possession and whether you intend to run them concurrently or separately. Read on to learn more about generator wattage and what you can run on a 2000 watt generator.
What You Need to Know About Watts
Watts is a unit of power used to represent the amount of energy you get from using electricity. 2000 watt generators can run appliances with 2000 watts continuous load and 2000 watts peak load. For instance, a room air conditioning unit requires around 2000 watts to fully function, as its name indicates.
In generators, watts can either be starting or running watts. The starting wattage is the amount of power needed for an engine to start. Starting wattage is also called peak wattage. Running wattage is the amount of energy required to keep appliances like air conditioners running or to run tools in a workshop.
The other name for running wattage is rated watts. Running wattage usually is lower than the starting wattage. It is because motorized machines require more energy to start than the energy they need to maintain running.
Understanding your appliances’ starting and running power requirements is a critical step when shopping for a generator.
Practical Uses of 2000 Watt Generators
1. Powering Homes
The only comfort you can get when a power outage hits your home area during a storm is to have a generator. A reliable 2000 watt generator will help you run essential electrical devices at home and keep your life moving well even during a storm. Here are some of the household appliances that you can run on a 2000 watt generator.
- Lights: Whether there is a storm or not, you need to have light in your house. Some people go the extra mile to invest in rechargeable light bulbs and other lighting devices. This ensures they remain in the light when the primary grid is off and there is no generator around. Any size of a generator can comfortably light your house though the number of bulbs may be limited. Most incandescent light bulbs only require 60 watts to run.
- Air conditioner: A 2000 watt generator can comfortably power a 10,000 BTU air conditioner or any other smaller AC unit. Most 10,000 BTU window AC units have a starting wattage of 1800 watts and 1200 running watts. Therefore, you can power a 10,000 BTU AC unit with a few incandescent bulbs using a 2000 watt generator.
- Washing machine: It is an essential home appliance that you may need to use even when the main grid is off. A 2000 watt generator can power whose starting power is in the range of your 2000 watt generator. The starting and running power of a washer is high. Therefore you won’t be able to run any other appliance concurrently on a 2000 watt generator.
- Coffee maker: You can prepare quick coffee when your lights are on but not concurrently with a 10000 BTU window AC unit. Most coffee makers run on 1000 watts. A 2000 watt generator can comfortably power one when other few appliances such as a TV set or a running deep freezer run on 500 watts.
- Radiant heater: The last thing you would want to hear is cold weather with no power to run your heating system. While a 2000 watt generator cannot run high-powered heating systems, it can power a gas furnace or furnace fun.
Other home appliances that you can run on a 2000 watt generator include a deep freezer, ceiling fan, 1500W iron box, among others.
For the big home appliances whose starting and running wattages are near the capacity of a 2000 generator, operate them individually. Doing so will eliminate any probability of overloading the generator.
If you love enjoying outdoor living and do it often, 2000 watt generators should be part of your outdoor gear. 2000-watt generators are relatively easy to transport as they come in light-weighted designs. They have plenty of power for running;
- A 10,000 BTU RV AC unit
- Light your campsite
- Space heater with a few LED light bulbs
- Cooking stove
- Charge your smart devices
Depending on the type of appliances you will carry on your camping trip, a 2000 watt generator can power them. This explains why it is a favorite generator size for most campers.
If you’re one of those people who loves going out before big events, including football games and concerts, a 2000 watt generator is what you need for powering your electricals. A 2000-watt generator is enough to run multiple small appliances concurrently, such as a large TV, fans, and a microwave oven. You can also do barbeque when out there with friends, but this will limit you from running other appliances except for the light.
Some of the 2000 watt generators come with DC and USB ports. You can use these outlets to charge your car battery and your cell phones or other devices with USB plug points.
2000 watt generators are mostly preferred for remote worksites because of their relatively compact sizes that make them portable and easy to carry around. For example, if you need electricity at an outdoor construction site, 2000 watt generators can come in handy during emergencies while the main power station is down or undergoing repairs. 2000 watt generators can even run power tools like
- Air compressors with a quarter horsepower
- Electric drill
- Reciprocating saw
- 10-inch table saw
- 7.25 inches table saw
- 1.2kW hammer drill
Most of these power tools 2000 watt generators can run without experiencing overloads despite their relatively low capacities.
2000 watt generators are also quiet during operation and can be used with minor disturbance in office setups. Some of the office appliances that 2000 watt generators can run include;
- Copying machines
- Fax machines
- Personal computer
- Inkjet printer
- Laser printer
Most office machines can run on a 2000 watt generator with no problem, provided the generator operates quietly.
5 Best 2000 Watt Generator in the market
A 2000watt generator may not be big enough to run all your appliances at home in case of an emergency. However, it’s a useful generator that will keep your essential appliances such as lights, refrigerator, and a window AC unit running. You can carry this power source to wherever you want to go, thanks to its high portability feature. Here are the 5 best 2000 watt generators in the market today.
1. WEN 56200i Portable Inverter Generator
Wen 56200i is one of the best and budget-friendly 2000 watt generators that will offer value for your money.
It is a powerful generator that generates power in 1600 watts of continuous running capacity, and 2000 watts peak running capacity. Thanks to its 79.7cc 4-stroke gasoline-powered engine. With inverter technology, this generator produces clean energy for powering sensitive electronics. It also operates quietly with a 51 decibels noise level when operating with a 25% load.
It is efficient, reliable, and safe to use with many added features such as;
- Oil alert system, which notifies you if the machine requires an oil change.
- A low-oil shutdown that automatically shuts down the machine when there is little or no oil in it.
- Overload protection protects the generator from overload risks.
- Eco-mode running feature for guaranteeing you the best fuel efficiency
The generator has a 1-gallon fuel tank capacity which can ensure you 6 hours of uninterrupted power when running on a 50% load. With its small tank size, 6 hours is an impressive runtime.
This unit has double 120 volts outlets, 12 volts DC outlet, and a 5 volts USB port. Thanks to its comfortable carrying handle and lightweight of about 48 pounds, you can easily carry this generator.
2. Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Inverter Generator
It is the best 2000 watt generator made by Generac, one of the US’s biggest and reliable generator manufacturers.
This generator has a peak wattage of 2000W and a running wattage of 1600W of smooth power. You can run your vulnerable appliances with this unit, thanks to its less than 3% THD. iQ2000 is among the quietest generators in the 2000 watt range; its noise level ranges from 50 to 60 decibels depending on the load.
The best features of this model include;
- Light indicators display the existing load and real-time fuel level and remaining runtime before running out of fuel. This feature helps you in controlling the operations of this generator. You can schedule when to refuel based on the fuel level display or lower the load to extend the runtime.
- The engine has three settings; regular, turbo, and eco-mode for conserving fuel. These three settings help you regulate the engine speed based on your current power needs.
- It has an automatic low oil shutdown feature and overload protection, and a reset button.
This unit has a fuel capacity of about 1.06 gallons. This generator can run for about 7.7 hours on a single tank when running on a quarter load. Running it on a turbo mode will lead to low runtime than on the eco-mode setting.
There are duplex 120 volts 20A outlets on this model for powering your appliances. While this unit does come with USB ports, you can still power your smart devices through an extension cable.
Any adult can conveniently carry this generator; it weighs 46.5 pounds, making it a lightweight and portable generator. Its compact design also makes it easy to store or pack in your vehicle for outdoor activities.
- Westinghouse iGen2200 Portable Inverter Generator
If you are looking for an excellent power station in the range of 2000 watt, Westinghouse will not disappoint you.
The generator has a quiet and efficient 79cc engine that delivers a peak wattage of 2200W and 1800 rated watts. It has a smooth power output that has less than 3% THD. You don’t have to worry about powering your delicate appliances. This generator’s inverter technology and compact design make it operate at a noise level of 52 decibels when running on a quarter load.
Other admirable features of this model include;
- Economy mode feature that lowers fuel consumption to extend its runtime and lower engine noise. It is ideal when running the generator on low loads.
- Three indicators signals when the unit has low oil, the output is ready, and when the unit is overloaded.
- It also has a circuit breaker that prevents users from overloading the generator.
The fuel tank capacity for this generator is 1.2 gallons. Depending on your load, you can enjoy a continuous power supply of between 6 to 12 hours, with a lower load offering the most extended runtime.
This generator has two multi-purpose 120volts 20A outlets and two USB ports. You can power your appliances and, at the same time, recharge your smart devices.
This unit is highly portable thanks to its 46 pounds weight and in-built handle at the top. Any adult can conveniently carry it with one hand and load it to a track or boot of the car whenever there are outdoor power demands.
3. Yamaha EF2000iSv2 Portable Inverter Generator
Yamaha makes top-notch quality generator models of different sizes. If you are not on a strict budget, this model will give you real value for your money.
This generator runs on a 79cc Yamaha 4-stroke engine delivering a starting power of 2000 watt and 1600 running watt. Its smooth power output can run delicate power appliances thanks to its less than 2.5% THD. Yamaha EF2000iSv is among the ultra-quiet portable generators operating at a noise level of 51.5 decibels when running on a quarter load.
Added features on this model include;
- Yamaha Smart Throttle senses the existing load and automatically adjusts the engine speed to deliver the required energy. This feature offers higher fuel efficiency and low noise production.
- Indicator lights display when the unit is ready for loading, when it’s overloaded when the oil level is low.
- An in-built fuel gauge for easy fuel monitoring
- An oil watch system guarantees engine safety by shutting down the engine when it detects low oil.
- A circuit breaker that protects the generator and your appliances from overload risks
This generator has a fuel tank capacity of 1.1 gallons. This gives the generator a maximum runtime of 10.5 hours when it is running on a quarter load. The runtime portrays a high fuel efficient rate, among the best in the market.
You will find duplex 120 volts 20A outlets and a single 12 volts 8A DC outlet on the power outlets. It has a lightweight of about 44 pounds and a molded handle on the casing. You can comfortably carry it around your job site or camping site.
4. Honda EU2200i
Honda generators are known for their reliability and high-quality services. Even though it is the most expensive in the list of our 5 best 2000 watt generators in the market today, you’re guaranteed top-notch services.
This generator has a 121 cc Honda 4-stroke engine that generates 2200 starting watt and 1800 running wattage. This is adequate power for running selected household appliances and several tools and equipment in a remote worksite and camp. The generator produces a clean sine wave that is less than 3% THD. You can comfortably power vulnerable appliances. Honda EU2200i is the quietest generator on this list operating with a noise level of 48 decibels when running on a quarter load. On a maximum load, the noise level does not go beyond 57 decibels.
This generator has safety features that will give you peace of mind when it’s running; they include;
- Low oil alert system that powers off the engine when the generator has low oil. This feature protects the generator from damaging the engine part because of running without oil, thereby increasing its lifespan.
- An overload protection feature.
- CO minder feature which shuts down the engine when the ambient carbon monoxide level is rising to a dangerous level
- Remote operations and monitoring from 75 feet through the Honda my Generator App
- The light indicators signal when the unit is low on oil, ready for loading, and when it’s overloaded.
This generator has a fuel tank capacity of 0.95-gallon which offers it a runtime of 8 hours when running a quarter load. It is still an impressive runtime considering the size of its fuel tank.
It has limited outlets, duplex 120 volts 20A outlets with no DC or USB outlets.
All 2000 watt generators above have parallel capabilities. If you need more power output, you can connect models from the same manufacturer. Buying a small generator for a parallel connection is cheaper than investing in a bigger generator.
Generator Safety Tips
Regardless of the size of the generator, you are using, your safety and everyone around you should be your concern. Generators pose many risks, including electrocution and emission of poisonous carbon monoxide gas that kills when inhaled at dangerous levels. However, if used correctly, your generator can turn out to be the best companion whenever you need a temporary power supply. Here are the safety tips to observe.
- Always run the generator in an open space that has optimal air ventilation. The open space should not be anywhere near the doors or windows. Place the generator at least 15 feet away from your house.
- When using it as a power backup, do not connect it into any of the wall sockets, this is back feeding, and it can be dangerous. Use recommended power extension cables to connect your home appliances. Alternatively, get an electrician to install a transfer switch and connect your generator to the switch to power your entire house.
- Power on your generator first before plugging any devices into it. Once the unit is ready for loading, plug in one device at a time. Unplug all attached devices first before shutting down the generator; otherwise, you may damage your appliances.
- Do not operate a generator near pets or toddlers. When a generator s running, some of its components heat, which may burn your pets or toddlers when they come into contact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to run a refrigerator on a 2000 watt generator?
Yes. Most refrigerators have a starting wattage of about 1200 watts and a running wattage lower than 1200 watts. Therefore, a 2000 watt generator can comfortably power a refrigerator that lies in the stated power range, and you will still have sufficient power for other appliances.
Can I wash my generator?
Just like any other appliance, generators should be kept clean. One of the main areas of a generator that needs to be kept clean is the engine. Rinse it with warm water and allow it to dry. You should also clean the external parts by wiping them with a damp material. Do not use pressurized water to clean a generator.
So, what can you run on a 2000 watt generator? It will depend on the type of devices you intend to run and how you will priories them. A 2000 watt generator is versatile power equipment, but its power output is not enough to run every appliance at home. For instance, you cannot power an AC unit and a washing machine concurrently on a 2000 watt generator. Identify your devices and their wattage requirements to determine which appliances can run together and which ones will run individually.